Sunday, October 01, 2006

October Already...


My favorite time of year is here! This is when I see the world through pumpkin-colored glasses, reflecting moonbeams and slightly fogged by crisp autumn air.

For many, this is the downward slope into winter, the last handhold on nice days before the restricting weather sets in. This is the step before seasonal depression and the long, agonizing countown until spring brings its healing promise.

I am rather the opposite. Autumn is my season of rejuvenation, not spring. I feel so much more alive when the weather first drops below 50 degrees, when that little bite is in the air along with a hint of woodsmoke from the house down the road. When apple cider cravings overcome me; when the subliminal feeling to "rush, rush, get it done before the snow!" becomes more prevalent than the laid-back attitude of summer; when the days are shorter and the nights are custom-made for curling up under a quilt with a good book... this is when the world is perfect to me. When all around is hibernating and drying up and blowing away, I am dancing in the leaves with sparkly eyes, a pocketful of candy corn, and an itch to go, to do, to be spontaneous!

Oh, let Fall be long this year
In colors red and brown
Let orange leaves lie underfoot
Instead of snowy ground!

Oh, let Fall be long this year
A season to remember
Let a harvest moon shine bright
Well into December!

1 comment:

Chris said...

You & my wife are so similar. Her nickname is polar bear. Seems a bit befitting of you, as well. Cheers to your happy embracing of autumn!