Thursday, December 20, 2007

Of Mouse and Me

The backs of my eyeballs hurt. I don't know why but they do, but it's a very odd feeling. It isn't the "behind-the-eyes-headache" kind of pain, or sinus pain (at least I hope not... ten days' worth of antibiotic pills the size of small submarines should have knocked out that pesky sinus infection, plus any of its relatives thinking of coming to visit). It just feels like any minute now an eyeball is going to make a run for it and pop out of my head. Interesting, but not desirably so.

Today was our holiday dinner at work. I didn't win either of the giveaway turkeys but I guessed the weight of each to within 3 ounces. Apparently I'm good at eyeballing plucked, frozen, large-breasted birds and determining their weight... maybe I should be running a Guess Your Weight booth for the Swedish Bikini Team winter carnival. Do they have one of those? I might be on to something.

I'm loving the heck out of my new iPen and tablet. Somebody please tell me why I didn't get one of these before. Oh yeah, I remember... I thought it was frivolous to spend money on unnecessary computer accessories when we had bills to pay. Good thing it was a gift! And a really cool one, at that. Also great timing... my HP mouse just croaked (squeaked?) and the cursor was zooming all over and opening stuff at random. I'd just switched to my backup trigger mouse before the old one decided to rewrite my registry or buy out eBay at 1 AM. Trigger mouse serves one vital function: it keeps anyone else from using my computer, because nobody knows how to use it. I can't use it myself for long due to a painful thumb joint caused, most likely, from using a trigger mouse.

Speaking of computer peripherals... I'm one of those who will use what came with the computer- keyboard, mouse, speakers- until it's absolutely necessary to replace them. My last keyboard saw me through two computers (it was a multimedia keyboard with all kinds of fancy buttons and functions, most of which didn't correspond to anything on the new comp, but it had volume control on it, and since I can't reach my speakers from here, I kept it just for that purpose) and when I finally replaced it, half the letters were worn off, the left shift key and the 1 didn't work, and the space bar only worked if you hit it in the right spot. This past summer I broke down and bought a new multimedia keyboard. May I just say... "quiet soft-touch keys," my fanny. It's just as loud as the last one. Why can't anyone make a keyboard that doesn't A. sound like a roomful of wind-up chattering teeth and B. require forcible keystrokes to register characters? Is it just me?

I have iTunes on party shuffle. Clay Aiken singing Solitaire just came on, causing me to wonder just what that malfunctioning mouse was doing while I was away. Clay Aiken?!? I just went from hearing Veruca Salt and STP... to American Idol. *no clue* Must investigate and see what else is on here I don't know about.

No comments: