Sunday, July 31, 2005

Behind the Technological Power Curve

OK, so I’m not a geek. At least not in the technical sense… Not having anyone nearby to give me hands-on instruction, I’ve had to figure most of this computer junk out on my own. “User-Friendly” my fanny…
The internet tech forums are helpful sometimes, but geekspeak is a foreign language to me. Ironically, I’m an administrator on a few message forums…I was flying blind for a while last year, but now have a handle on it for the most part. I’m so proud. A small victory computer-wise is a good one for me.

Just last week I learned how to burn DVDs from VHS tapes, with help from Pinnacle’s Studio 9 program and a MovieBox. Now if someone could tell me how to burn a DVD with no region code, I could send some home movies to friends in Australia and New Zealand. Next step: recording LPs (remember them?) onto CD… I believe I have the equipment I need, just have to tackle the octopus of wiring behind my desk… *looks under desk* But not today. Last time I rerouted everything I blew a fuse…literally…got a heavy-duty surge protector now, but our entire apartment is only wired on two circuits, so overload is a distinct possibility. I better go check our fire insurance coverage, now that I think about it.

No comments: