Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reverse Polarity, now playing at my house!

Today was the Monday I didn't have yesterday.

I was off on Monday. That was nice, after five days of dealing with a new employee who was more prone to wandering off, swatting at birds and randomly singing snippets of Mariah Carey songs for no discernible reason whatsoever than actually working. My tolerance meter dove steadily southward until, by Sunday, I was ready to shove a bird up his kiester so he'd have a reason to sing falsetto. Monday, therefore, was a good day.

Today, Tuesday, I was dreading going back to work; however it turned out to be one of the better days I've had there in a while. I was sent to Hell Section, our most primitive greenhouse. It's muddy and the gnats were out in force, but I was alone and nobody bothered me all day. I even got away with listening to my iPod instead of whatever crap radio station the other crews usually have on. And, most importantly, Falsetto Boy was a quarter mile away- well out of annoyance range.

I came home feeling great, despite PMS cramps. I'm usually too burned out to even LOOK at a plant outside of work, but today I brought some herb pots home for the kitchen and set them on the windowsill, planning to find a bigger container to make into an herb garden. The chives and parsley must have been in a funk because, as soon as my back was turned, they threw themselves off the sill and landed upside-down on top of the air conditioner's vents. Husband brought me the vacuum to suck the dirt out of the A/C. I used the hose with an attachment, but there was still enough suction for the main vacuum head to eat the rug fringe and throw the belt. Last time I put the belt back on I broke a nail and gouged two knuckles so I didn't even bother this time, I just handed it to Hubby. (I'm not the "OMG I broke a NAIL!!!! My day is RUINED!!!" kind of person, but I'd just gotten my first manicure in 6 months, to the tune of $30, so yeah, I was pissed. And I was not going to repeat the bleeding knuckle part, manicure or not.)

So, okay, that sucked but I had stuff to do. Moving on...

I started supper and all was going great. Delicious cheese ravioli and Italian sausage, mmm. The ravioli came with a pack of cheese-and-bread-crumb topping. I opened the junk drawer for the scissors, leaned the opened pack against the microwave on the counter, and then somehow gravity reversed itself just long enough for the pack to flip over and empty its contents into the drawer. Now I'm sifting batteries and other stuff out of a pile of cheese crumbs. I'm not emptying the drawer (it's a JUNK drawer, you know what that's like... 40 lb. of miscellaneous accumulated gadgets that don't have a home anywhere else) so I scraped it out with a cardboard battery package and a sponge.

I chatted with a friend online while supper finished cooking, telling him about my mini-disasters. I ended with "I'm going to try to get the food in my mouth, but the way things are going, I'll probably dump it in my shoes or something." I didn't. But a ravioli did make a break for it, leaping from my bowl, bypassing the (easily wipeable) placemats, and plopping down on my clean linen tablecloth. Husband just looked at me, raised his eyebrows, and said "Go to bed."

Since that was the third bad thing that happened since I'd been home, I figured I was safe for the rest of the evening. I said I was going to stay up a while since I go in late tomorrow. Hubby took that opportunity to inform me that the hard drive died in my not-yet-paid-for laptop. And it's out of warranty. Of course it is, why would I expect anything else at this point? Oh, and he dropped the cooling-fan pad and some part broke, but he was sure he could fix that. The $15 laptop pad is now functioning, but the vacuum is still beltless and the hard drive is going to set us back quite a bit. And I'm pretty sure the next time I turn the A/C on I'm going to get a faceful of peat dust.

On the bright side, my nails are still intact.


Ice cream sammiches rock. That is all.

No comments: