Sunday, November 13, 2005

Bits and Pieces

Why is Autumn so short? It's the most beautiful time of the year and only lasts a few weeks, it seems, before the six-month-long winter kicks in. I should go find some leaves to press before they're all gone.

Dad told me there is a 1959 Caddy up on Mt. Zion Road... must. go. drool. Think we're going to take the camera for another drive today.

Have to swing by WalMartHell too. Hubby said they had studded snow tires on sale, and I need two or my Buick isn't on the road until April when the snow melts. It won't get up the mountain without traction and the rear end tries to pass me on the straightaway. So, two good tires and a couple bags of coal in the trunk for weight should do it. No Buick Ballet on Ice this year!

The pheasant didn't wait for Thanksgiving. He was right tasty after being marinated a day or two and then wrapped with slab bacon and roasted. Good bird! Not nearly as good as the one my boss brought in, though... and that was a chicken! He has a deep-fryer... injected the bird and marinated it, then fried it... he usually does turkeys but the chicken impressed me more. SO GOOD. I got my dad a turkey fryer a few years ago and I'm thinking of borrowing it to do up my own chicken. (I roast a great bird in the oven, but there is no comparison...)

My company has blocked out any and all vacation time from now until Dec. 20. This time frame includes deer season. There are going to be a lot of people "out sick" for a few specific days. It's funny... the site manager won't approve a vacation request, but if you call in sick, they charge you vacation time for it... I wrote my own schedule and turned it in, gave myself my usual two days off each hunting week. I WILL be in the woods, vacation time or no. If we don't get a deer we become temporary vegetarians until spring, which is OK with me but my husband is a meat-and-taters guy and there is nothing I can do with eggplant or soy that will be an adequate substitution to him.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day out there... I can't sit at the computer any longer when it's like this, so I'm going to soak up some atmosphere. Might even jump in some leaves and have supper on the porch later. It's just that kind of day.

No comments: