Sunday, November 27, 2005

Of Trucks and Deer and Holiday Cheer

Hubby's truck is back home. All the problems it had (besides the unrepairable issue of it being a 1986 Chevy) were traced back to a broken wire. It *might* need an ignition module eventually but for now it's running and I haven't had to go rescue anyone. The entrance (ANY entrance) to Wal-Mart is not the place one wants to break down this time of year!

Rifle season opens tomorrow. We're going to sight in our guns today and get everything laid out, since we'll be up at oh-dark-thirty. By sunup I should be comfortably parked under a tree in the woods, sassafrass tea in a thermos beside me and gun across my knees. I'll watch the woods wake up. Birds and squirrels will start their chirping and chatter, sunlight will make crazy patterns through the foliage, and eventually it will warm up enough for the ice to melt and drip, loud in the stillness, on the dead leaves scattered about. Every sound is amplified to me. A squirrel can sound like a herd of deer if he gets feisty enough. My hearing gets a workout; have to rely on senses normally focused on tuning out, not in! I love it.
Since we'll be in a place I've never hunted, I'll spend the first half-hour of light familiarizing myself with the look and shape of things so if anything changes I'll notice it. Deer are sneaky and ghostlike and blend in quite well on a grey morning... knowing the landscape silhouette is important. Oh, and the camera goes with me this year. I just don't know if I personally want to shoot a nice buck, or snap a picture and let him go make more for next year. I really don't care if I get a deer or not. If hubby gets one, our meat needs are taken care of and I can just sit back and enjoy the scenery for the rest of the day. And that's the reason I go. It's my time for introspection as well as just marveling at creation.

The unfortunate thing about rifle season is that it falls so close to Christmas. Meaning, my days off are spent in the woods, not out shopping or baking or prepping for the holiday. In a way it's good; I don't like dealing with the madness that is CommercialMas. But on the other hand I have a lot to do... A friend and I are supposed to be baking cookies in the very near future and hubby and I have to shop for the kids in the family. It will be a lean Christmas financially, but it isn't about the money or the gifts, is it? I don't recall reading about Santa Claus and Rudolph in my Bible. I read about a miracle, a savior born... and isn't everlasting life a pretty swell gift? Bet you won't find that at Wal-Mart!

No comments: