Thursday, April 27, 2006

How do you say...

How do you say "Turn that annoying crap down before I shove those gangsta rap CDs someplace that's more South End than West Side" in Spanish? Is there a direct translation?

Some guy at work today had his boom box going full blast in the upper section, subjecting everyone within earshot to the most obnoxious noise ever, made worse by the fact that it was all rapped in Spanish. And he started it at 8:00 in the morning. This is NOT my most forgiving time of day, okay? I had to go back and forth through the noise pollution several times during the morning. I'll state for the record that I'm usually tolerant of most kinds of music, including some rap, dance, techno, and even *gasp* Top 40 Pop if that's all that's on. But this stuff could have been used to torture enemy camps. Birds fell off their perches, snakes went into convulsions, and the poor humans hit up the Tylenol by the fistful to combat the instant headaches. Mr. Loud Radio and another guy were the only ones working consistently in that section, however, and past attempts to get the contract crews to turn their music down were usually unsuccessful. (Also, they seem to work a lot better when they can play their radios, and since they often get subjected to Casey Kasum we figured it was only fair to let them have their day to play whatever they liked.)

At one point there was an actual song playing (okay, it was Wild Cherry's "Funky Music" but compared to the other stuff it sounded like Tchaikovsky to me) and I did a little goofy happy dance. Mr. Loud Radio saw me. He came over, looking sheepish, and turned off the radio, explaining "Es mi hermano, he like," shrugging and pointing to his brother off in the distance. And then: "Okay, I play for you." And he put in more gangsta rap, this time in English, apparently just for me. Oh yay.

Here's the really sad part... it got stuck in my head. *Sob*

I've been playing 80s one-hit wonders since I got home to try to get those lyrics (are they called lyrics?) out of my mind... I'm about to take drastic measures. I have Neil Diamond at the ready... Wish me luck.

1 comment:

fart blossom said...

Aw, he went and played the gangsta rap just for you? I bet he had to get in a fight with his hermano to do it too! What an hombre. That's so sweet. That's like the most twisted sweet thing I've heard all day. And sorry, I can't imagine this genre of music without lo-riding mariachis.

:D
waylan