Sunday, April 09, 2006

Reading about Reading

My husband just asked me, out of the blue, if I wanted to ride down to Reading today. I thought about it.

Hmm... Reading has one of the best Chinese buffet/hibachi restaurants I've been to. The VF Factory Outlet Mall is there near the old railroad yard, and while I'm not much of an outlet shopper, this one happens to contain Reading China and Glass, my favorite kitchen store. I wander around in awe until the hubby reminds me of the closeout toy store downstairs, and off we go. We have to pass the gelato place en route, always a temptation! Then there's the bookstore, a must-stop. And finally the tool store... we save that for last because my husband will stay in there until they close, telling me all about bench grinders and jigsaws and whether he needs a cordless drill with more voltage and look honey there's the one I like right there! And it comes with a circular saw, sander, and flashlight! OOOOoooo! (He's so funny, as bad as me in the kitchen store. We never buy anything either... we just have a blast looking.)

Of course... Hubby didn't actually mention it, as it needs no reminder... on the way to Reading just *happens* to be the Mecca of the Outdoors... Cabela's. I think they have huge fine-tuned magnets hidden along the highway that gradually pull pickup trucks right off the road into the parking lot. And subliminal messages on the radio saying "You need... an Abu Garcia baitcast reel... a tabletop laser boresighter... a box of .30-06 rounds... come to Cabelllllaaaaaassssss..." If that isn't enough, one can see the sign glowing for miles along the highway. (Before we went there the first time, I asked a redneck co-worker for directions. He said "Head down 61 until the clouds part, the sky lights up and you hear angels singing. You can't miss it." LOL!)
The place is beyond huge: 250,000 sq. ft! They have an aquarium where you will always, without fail, find some guy wearing a NASCAR hat, flannel shirt, and boots, staring at a big fish and licking his lips while muttering "that's some nice filets right there." When we're there, that man will be my husband, so go up and say hi. He'll be carrying a new black jitterbug and a spool of Stren.

www.cabelas.com

No comments: