Saturday, April 01, 2006

Master Artisan at work!

What a beautiful, perfect day He made!

I was amped from the time I got up this morning. Went in to work with a gung-ho attitude, where absolutely nothing was going to be too much for me to do. And it wasn't! Even though we were still short-staffed, the whole aura of the day was such that I felt we could accomplish a whole crew's work with only two or three, and we did! I love that positive feeling. I even stayed an hour late to finish up so the boss and a co-worker could leave and for once it didn't feel "draggy" like it usually does.

The weather had so much to do with it. It was cool this morning, but I had shorts on by 9 AM. Maybe a bit optimistic on my part, as it was mostly overcast and a chill wind picked up about 9:15, but inside the greenhouses it was nice. The clouds blew over in huge rolling chunks, spitting a bit of rain that always sounds so good on a plastic roof. In between the sun would shine just enough to maintain 55-60 degrees. I couldn't resist stepping outside periodically to enjoy it and look at the sky. This was my absolute favorite kind of spring day. Today, I was just high on life and feeling incredibly blessed. I was inspired and on fire!

At lunch, I scooted down to the Amish market to pick up lunch for myself and a co-worker and while I was there stepped back to my childhood. I bought a Whoopie Pie. Haven't had one since I was a very small child, and I believe due to the resulting sugar-rush chaos my grandmother was forbidden to ever give me another one! A Whoopie Pie is a cake sandwich, kind of. Two three- or four-inch rounds of cake with that cloyingly sweet, thick, lard-and-sugar frosting in between. Absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever... you can feel your teeth corroding as you eat one... why parents let children have these things is beyond me. But I got a pumpkin one today and it was really tasty. Now I don't need another one for the next 20 years or so. (Said Whoopie Pie had nothing to do with above-mentioned inspiration! It just added to the experience.)

I went out around 4 PM to sit down and take a five-minute brain dump... just let my mind wander away from work so I could soak up the atmosphere without interference... best five minutes of the day, right there. Everyone was gone; it was quiet except for the wind blowing across the roofs. I could smell wet grass, saw a kestrel clinging to a power line with his feathers blown up over his head like a fur hat, heard a killdeer screeching as it claimed its new territory, felt the chill of the air in contrast with the sun's rays... and gave a bit of thanks to He who created it all.

No comments: