Sunday, August 07, 2005

Who is Bert, anyway?

I used to live in the South, where there was at least one Huddle House or Waffle House in every town. It was our habit to go there after a night out, since my town had what I believe was the only Denny's in the US that actually closed at 10 P.M. (!!!) and the diner was the only place open at two in the morning. (The Denny's eventually closed due to lack of business... go figure.)

I have numerous Waffle House stories... which I'm not going to share... let's just say, if you leave a large enough tip in plain view of the waitress, it is impossible to get thrown out of a Waffle House.

What I'm getting at is that since I've moved North, I haven't been to any Waffle Houses. There aren't any around here. We have truck stops instead... eh. Just not the same.

Today I found not one, but two! Waffle Houses in the Harrisburg area. (side note: we were able to go to the truck show today after all.) Limited finances barred our usual repast at El Rodeo Mexican Ristorante, and I forgot where Fuddrucker's was, so in a fit of nostalgia B and I dined on patty melts, hash browns WH style (scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, diced, capped, and topped; you WH aficionados don't need an explanation), and Bert's chili. I love Bert's chili.

I am going to be paying for this later... Bert's chili also comes with Bert's Revenge. But it was worth it.

No comments: