Saturday, March 04, 2006

Weekenders

  • I think I'm going to get a Toyota Camry or Corolla instead of another truck. With two 4WD vehicles in our family already, a third would be pointless, when what we could really use is a newer vehicle that gets better than 15 MPG. I still want that Tacoma but it can wait. For once I'm going to be practical instead of emotional. (Check back in a couple months, when instead of a Camry I've dragged a 1965 Barracuda home from Carlisle... if you know me, you know that's more than a remote possibility.)
  • Blue Diamond smoked almonds rock. Almonds are supposed to be great for lowering cholesterol, but I'm pretty sure that refers to plain nuts, not the salt-and-smoke-flavor-covered ones. It's the thought that counts, right? Same with oatmeal and cholesterol... is it defeating the purpose to eat maple & brown sugar oatmeal? Or iced oatmeal cookies? Probably. I don't care.
  • I tried some fruit water flavored with Splenda and had a NutraSweet gag reaction. I reallyreallyreally hate aspartame. To this day I can taste those sampler gumballs NutraSweet sent through the mail in the 80s to get consumers to try their new sugar alternative. It's not a good memory. Splenda brought that back... don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon.
  • Almost over that persistent flu at last! Except for the bronchitis symptoms. The random coughing will probably continue for another week or so like always. Flu shot? No thanks. My extreme dislike for injections is greater than a week or two of feeling like I've been hit by a truck and had cement poured into my head.
  • My husband is not only a mind reader, but must truly love me. Love is when a guy who never frequented Taco Bell will agree to eat there to satisfy his wife's cravings every two weeks. True love is when the same guy will go pick up burritos on his way home without waiting to be asked. He did it of his OWN FREE WILL. You could have knocked me over with a spork. This is the man that will never suggest Taco Bell if there is any other viable alternative within 15 miles. And by "viable," I mean "vaguely food-like." (I kid... he likes the Bell, just not as much as I do. Nobody likes them as much as I do.)
  • Hubby's dad is turning 60 and the family is throwing a major shindig. The most interesting reason to go, besides Dad himself: B's brother invited "a couple of Dad's girlfriends" to the party. Dad's a widower, so he's entitled I suppose, but I asked Bro if the two women had met each other yet. There was a long silence on the other end of the phone... and then Bro said in a cheerful voice, "Well, if they haven't, nobody's gonna be bored at the party!" Dad knows lots of women... I'm sure these two are just friends... but just in case, I'm not missing it for anything. Anyone know where I can buy Hai Karate cologne? We need a birthday present. *grin*
  • Skipped out on bowling tonight, hubby's back was bothering him so we're opting for a quiet night instead. Maybe I'll be in the mood to go see a movie. It's been so long... they still have movie theaters, don't they? With popcorn and sticky floors and all that? Will I need a loan to see a film? Too bad the local drive-in isn't open for the season yet. We have several in the area; my goal this year is to hit the one with three screens for the triple-feature. Funny how I know about that one but have no clue where the closest actual theater is.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Aside from your wonderful like of vintage vehicles, I'm thinking dragging anything home isn't gonna do too well on the mileage thing. I mean it may very well look like a real beauty, but there's a reason the whole Flintstones thing never took off (shrugging shoulders slightly and snickering).

Oh, and I'm just mildly peeved at the mere mention of Taco Bell, since no Eastern Europeans yet have EVER gotten Mexican right (not that Taco Bell did either, but hey... at least it tastes good). I think I might just have enough gumption to get up & make my own tortillas now.

CJupiter said...

Karen, I have no problem with Chevy. But it's a been-there, done-that thing.

Tofi... just to irritate you... we had dinner at Playa Cancun, and they'd just made fresh guacamole with salsa and jalapenos and huge avocado chunks in it. Yum!

And the comment about dragging something home was meant to indicate that for me practicality (when it comes to cars) is easily overruled. I mean, I was seriously considering a burnt-orange Isuzu Amigo a few hours ago. Just because it was orange! *Sigh*